GRAND RAPIDS, MI — As coronavirus inpatient numbers climb to new highs, Spectrum Health is reverting back to visitor restrictions to help contain further virus spread.
Spectrum Health announced the restrictions — one adult patient can have one adult guest — on Wednesday, Oct. 28 and they take effect Thursday.
The guest must be the same person throughout the patient’s stay.
As of Wednesday, Spectrum Health’s hospitals in West Michigan had 162 inpatients with confirmed COVID-19. That’s well above the high in early may of slightly more than 100 patients.
It’s also a number that continues to climb. The inpatient number was 156 on Monday.
Statewide, there were 3,271 new coronavirus cases Wednesday and 18 deaths. Kent County had 361 new cases Wednesday.
Spectrum Health listed the following restrictions:
- Labor and delivery obstetrics patients are allowed two adult visitors. These must be the same two people for the patient’s entire hospital stay.
- Patients with COVID-19 are not allowed in-person visitors, however the care team will work with patients and families to coordinate virtual visits.
- Emergency department patients are limited to one adult guest per patient.
- Adult radiology and laboratory patients at the hospital or outpatient care sites are not allowed guests except for those patients who need assistance with activities of daily living or have cognitive impairments. These individuals will be allowed one adult guest.
- Adult patients at Spectrum Health physician offices and surgery centers are allowed one adult family member or guest per patient.
- Pediatric patients under the age of 21 are allowed two adult family members (parent or guardian or their designee only) per patient stay.
- For pediatric outpatient services, physician offices and surgery, pediatric patients are allowed two family members or guests per patient visit.
- Pediatric radiology patients are allowed one adult family member per patient.
- Pediatric hematology and oncology clinic and infusion center patients are allowed one adult family member per patient.
The restrictions apply to the following hospitals and nearby physicians’ offices and ambulatory care sites:
- Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital
- Spectrum Health Blodgett Hospital
- Spectrum Health Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital
- Spectrum Health Fred and Lena Meijer Heart Center
- Spectrum Health Lemmen-Holton Cancer Pavilion
- Spectrum Health Big Rapids Hospital
- Spectrum Health Gerber Memorial
- Spectrum Health Kelsey Hospital
- Spectrum Health Pennock
- Spectrum Health Reed City Hospital
- Spectrum Health United Hospital
- Spectrum Health Zeeland Community Hospital
- Spectrum Health Ludington Hospital
All visitors will be screened and must wear a mask.
More from MLive